Monday, November 16, 2009

There Is A Giant In Our Living Room




Susan and I visited Scott's Antique Mart in south Atlanta this past weekend and found a stray giant that needed a home. We can pass by a stray cat or dog, but obviously not a giant. Actually, this is just the piece of furniture that Susan has been looking to fill up the blank, high wall of our living room. At 7'-6" it is a real monster. It took only two porters to load it into the bed of my pickup but Susan, Naomi, Louie and I had to combine our strength to haul it into the house.

Now the giant - it needs a name but I don't know if it a boy or a girl yet - is just waiting for its new home to be painted. I guess I better get busy before it swallows me up!

Our giant was born about 140 years ago in Northern India during the era of British Colonialism. What it did before we adopted it is unknown. Perhaps a display cabinet in a woolen store or some such thing.

Scott's Antique Mart is an intriguing place to visit. Two large (each the size of a WalMart Super Store) buildings are filled once a month with furniture from all over the Eastcoast. There are even a few vendors from England and France. Did you know that most of the antique windows sold in the Southeast are from England? While Susan shopped I enjoyed making conversation with various vendors. Everyone had a great story to tell and listening to them was worth the $5 admission charge.

No comments: